Last night was the Met Gala celebrating the new exhibit "China: Through the Looking Glass." There was a time not that long ago, when art and fashion that was inspired by the East was considered "Orientalism," and was treated as an exotic, mysterious cuture to be celebrated and discovered. This inspiration is incredibly evident in the theatre, especially in opera.
<span style="font-size: small;">
The Met exhibition does much to preserve the whimsical interpretations of Chinese culture and esthetic, while the opening night, red carpet gala, satisfies celebrity exhibitionalist leanings, always in theme.
I'll point out some of the more interesting gowns that I saw. Interesting for one specific reason, they seem utterly inspired by Puccini's Turandot. At the end I've included a few other non-Turandot inspired standouts as well.
1. Sarah Jessica Parker / Rosa Raisa as Turandot</span>
2. Austin Lyric Opera Turandot / Lady Gaga
3. Opera di Firenze Turandot / Fan BingBing
4. National Theatre Brno Turandot
5. Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen / Adam Shulman and Anne Hathaway
6. Turandot Costumes: Maria Jeritza / Birgit Nilsson
8. Jennifer Lopez / Imperial Concubine Yang Yuhuan
9. Imperial Concubine Yang Yuhuan / Beyoncé
10. Solange Knowles / Chinese Umbrella and Fan